What to do beforehand
- Read the Event Rules and FAQs, which will tell you what bring and hopefully answer any questions you may have
- Make sure your PC is virus-free before connecting to the LAN, and have an antivirus program running and up to date. If your computer is patient zero in an infestation of a LAN-aware virus, don’t expect anybody to be very understanding.
- Defrag your hard drive (if not using an SSD).
- Ensure you have downloaded and patched up to date any games which you know you will be playing on. Internet bandwidth is limited so doing this first will save time and bandwidth, and make things easier for everyone.
- If you are planning on playing any mods/expansions, ensure you have downloaded these too.
- Be conscious of space limitations. If you have a 30-inch and a 24-inch Screens, bring the smaller one. It might not be as impressive, and it might not give you the greatest gaming experience possible, but your neighbours will thank you for being so considerate. No monitors bigger than 30" please.
- Enjoy an alcoholic beverage (from the bar, if you're old enough) but please don't get drunk. There's nothing worse than a hangover at a LAN Party. Worse, alcohol tends to bring out the worst in people, causing them to become hyper-competitive and condescending to other players.
- Be kind to players who are new to a given game or to LAN fests in general. You were a “newbie” once. Give advice when requested, and be patient.
- Be very careful around open beverages. The equipment you destroy may not be your own. It’s not uncommon for someone to spill a drink into his or her keyboard. Keep lids on bottles and drinks away from places where they can be easily spilled.
- Do not cheat. Do not use hacks, cheats or other questionable code, and don’t look at other people’s monitors while playing. Cheating of any type will not be tolerated, and you may be asked to leave if you’re caught.
- Be a good sport. Don’t whine if you lose, don’t accuse everyone who’s better than you of cheating, and don’t holler and swear.
- Do not go on inappropriate websites - All internet traffic is monitored
- Be respectful of other players things - do not touch them without permission and if you do have permission, treat other students’ equipment with the same respect you would treat your own.
- Be prepared to listen to and observe those in charge. Our staff are here to help, and we get results faster when everyone works together.
- No speakers. TV's MUST be muted, so please bring headphones
What not to bring
Please do not bring the following (this is not by any means an exhaustive list, if unsure then please don't bring it)
- Laser Pointers/Pens
- Any form of weapon (cosplay weapons exempt, though please have common sense and discretion)
- Your own alcohol
- Any non-prescription drugs
- More than 1 monitor (and it must be 30" or less)
- Your swegway/hoverboard
- Any R/C toys or drones.